Sit-in by Kejriwal, ministers: Delhi Assembly Speaker Ram Niwas Goel attacks LG
Delhi Assembly Speaker Ram Niwas Goel has jumped into the fray to attack Lt Governor Anil Baijal over IAS officers' "strike" and lent his support to the demands of Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his ministers staging a sit-in at the L-G office since Monday evening.
The AAP government's demands to the L-G include direction to IAS officers to end their "strike", action against those who have struck work for "four months". It has also asked the L-G to approve the proposal for doorstep delivery of rations.
In his letter to Baijal yesterday, Goel said that the work of Delhi's development has been affected for the last few months, which was a "well-planned conspiracy" and asked him to get "undeclared strike" by officers called off.
The Speaker said that when IAS officers were asked in the meetings of assembly committees as to why they were not attending ministers' meetings, they said, "We (officers) are not going to these meetings as it is the decision of IAS officers."
"Is it not strike? Don't you (L-G) think it is an attack on the interest of Delhi's people? Don't you think it is an insult of people? The only reason behind all these things is the strike of IAS officers...
"Being a supreme administrator, you should get the undeclared strike called off while fulfilling your constitutional responsibilities so that people can breathe a sigh of relief," Geol said in the letter written in Hindi.
Goel told the L-G that if he did not take steps, it would not be appropriate for him.
The IAS officers' association has maintained that "no officer is on strike and no work has been affected".
During the Budget Session in March, Goel had hit out at Baijal after he communicated to him that he could not admit questions on reserved subjects including law and order, services and land.
As a mark of their protest against the L-G's move, Goel, Sisodia, cabinet ministers and all AAP legislators wore black bands during the House proceedings then.
- 2 Pakistani soldiers killed by Indian Army in J-K's Kupwara 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee plummets to historic low of 70.09 on Turkish lira collapse 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Attack on Umar Khalid: Delhi Police says not intimated about event 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rains continue to batter Kerala, people shifted to relief camps 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Patna shelter home deaths: two arrested accused sent to police remand 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Mamata accuses BJP of being 'anti-Bengalis', asks if hilsa from B'desh be branded as "infiltrators" 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Two jawans killed in blasts along LoC: official 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Karna CM writes to PM for holding Aero India in Bengaluru 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Pune ranked most liveable city in India, Delhi 65th 13 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Only one slab of GST after we come to power- Rahul Gandhi 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
14 Aug 2018 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
Governor Prof Ganeshi Lal released Odia version of ‘Exam Warriors’, written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, here on Monday. Releasing the book, the Governor said a common child can build self a superman by strong commitment and will power...