- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Trump warns of military action against Venezuela
US President Donald Trump today warned of a military action against Venezuela in response to its president Nicolas Maduro's power grab, describing the situation in the country as a "very dangerous mess".
Protests rocked the streets of Caracas and other Venezuelan cities after a July 30 vote that allowed Maduro to replace the opposition-dominated National Assembly with a new 545-member Constituent Assembly filled with his supporters.
The Trump administration has called Maduro a "dictator" and issued sanctions against him and more than two dozen other former and current officials, accusing Maduro's government of violating human rights and undermining the country's democracy.
"We have many options for Venezuela. And by the way, I'm not going to rule out a military option. We have many options for Venezuela," Trump said after a meeting with his Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley and National Security Advisor H R McMaster.
"This (Venezuela) is our neighbour. You know, we're all over the world. And we have troops all over the world in places that are very, very far away. Venezuela is not very far away. And the people are suffering. And they're dying. We have many options for Venezuela, including a possible military option if necessary," Trump said.
Venezuelan Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino described Trump's remarks as an "act of craziness" and "supreme extremism".
Earleir in a statement, the White House said Trump refused a phone call from Maduro.
"Since the start of this Administration, President Trump has asked that Maduro respect Venezuela’s constitution, hold free and fair elections, release political prisoners, cease all human rights violations, and stop oppressing Venezuela’s great people," White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said.
"The United States stands with the people of Venezuela in the face of their continued oppression by the Maduro regime. President Trump will gladly speak with the leader of Venezuela as soon as democracy is restored in that country," Sanders said.
Yesterday, Pentagon spokesman Eric Pahon said the Defence Department has not been ordered to make any military movements related to Venezuela -- but is prepared for that if need be.
- HC takes suo moto cognisance on waterlogging in Delhi 16 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Triple talaq most inhuman practice: Parrikar 16 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Delhi Police incompetent, can't protect citizens: AAP 16 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Will await BJP proposal on seat-sharing: Nitish Kumar 16 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Trump vows 'extraordinary relationship' with Putin as summit opens 16 Jul 2018 | AFP
- ED team in Singapore to track down Nirav Modi 16 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Tharoor's office vandalised in Kerala capital, MP claims 'Sanghi goondas' behind it 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rahul writes to PM for passage of Women's Reservation Bill 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Successful Test Firing of BRAHMOS to Validate Service Life Extension 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Court sends separatist Aasiya Andrabi, 2 others to one-month judicial custody 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
16 Jul 2018 | Amitabh Shukla | New Delhi
Branching off the main Delhi-Chandigarh-Shimla highway on National Highway 22, which some still call by its earlier name of Hindustan-Tibet Road, are three quaint hill stations—Kasauli, Dagshai and Subathu—all military cantonments, which you cannot miss if you are a travel enthusiast. The charm of long leisurely walks, chirping of all varieties of colorful birds, smell of wild and exotic flowers, the fresh coat of green on leaves when it rains, the...