UN chief condemns North Korea over missile launch
"This action is in violation of Security Council resolutions and a threat to peace and security in the region," Guterres said in a statement issued by his spokesman.
The UN chief called on North Korea "to ensure full compliance with its international obligations and return to the path of denuclearization."
North Korea yesterday carried out its latest test of a ballistic missile, which Pyongyang said was capable of carrying a "heavy nuclear warhead."
Under UN resolutions, North Korea is barred from developing nuclear and missile technology.
The UN Security Council was weighing its response to the latest launch, with diplomats saying that the United States was pushing for a toughly-worded statement of condemnation.
A closed-door emergency Council session was set for tomorrow.
The council adopted two sanctions resolutions last year to ramp up pressure on Pyongyang and deny leader Kim Jong-Un the hard currency needed to fund his military programs.
In all, six sets of sanctions have been imposed on North Korea since it first tested an atomic device in 2006.
Six-party talks on denuclearization of the Korean peninsula have been dormant since 2009 when North Korea walked out of the process that involved China, Russia, the United States, South Korea and Japan.
- US calls for stronger sanctions against N Korea 14 May 2017 | PTI
- N Korea accuses CIA of plot to assassinate Kim Jong-Un 05 May 2017 | AFP
- After US warns N.Korea 'military action' on table, Pyongyang tests missile 29 Apr 2017 | IANS
- North Korea rolls out missiles, other weaponry at parade 15 Apr 2017 | AP
- N Korea fires ballistic missile: Seoul defence ministry 12 Feb 2017 | AFP
- US '100 pc' behind Japan after N Korea missile launch: Trump 12 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Kashmir is core dispute between India and Pakistan: Sharif 05 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Pak conducts 1st flight test of N-capable 'Ababeel' missile 24 Jan 2017 | PTI
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon bids colleagues, staff farewell 31 Dec 2016 | AP
- Obama meets UN Secretary-General-designate Antonio Guterres 03 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Tejashwi attacks Nitish Kumar govt over crimes against women 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- France denies Rahul's remarks about secrecy pact in Rafale deal 20 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Anti-Sikh riots was "biggest lynching" incident: Rajnath 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Govt serious about protecting Aadhaar data: Prasad 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi to attend BRICS Summit in South Africa next week 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- LS takes up for discussion no-trust vote against Modi govt 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi has lied to nation on Rafale: Rahul 20 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Sena to abstain from voting on no-confidence motion 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- NDA to prove majority, Oppn to see strength of NDA plus: BJP 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- No confidence motion: PM calls for disruption-free debate in House 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Governor Anandiben Patel has said that tourism has enhanced in Madhya Pradesh in recent years. Employment to maximum people could be provided through tourism industry...