Vajpayee continues to be in ICU of AIIMS
Former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, continues to be in the ICU of AIIMS, and his condition is being monitored by a team of doctors round the clock, sources at the hospital said.
AIIMS Director Randeep Guleria had yesterday said that the 93-year-old leader has shown significant improvement and doctors are hopeful of his full recovery in the next few days.
Vajpayee was admitted to the premier hospital on June 11 with kidney tract infection, chest congestion and his urine output being on the lower side.
"He was immediately evaluated by a team of doctors and was put on injectable antibiotics," Guleria had said.
Vajpayee, a diabetic, has one functional kidney. He suffered a stroke in 2009, weakening his cognitive abilities. Later, he developed dementia.
Political leaders, including Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, RSS general secretary Bhaiyyaji Joshi and Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje visited the ailing leader at the hospital today.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP chief Amit Shah, RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat, former prime ministers Manmohan Singh and H D Deve Gowda, and Congress president Rahul Gandhi have visited Vajpayee at the AIIMS over the past three days.
Vajpayee was thrice elected the prime minister between 1996 and 1999 and is the only non-Congress prime minister to complete the full term of five years, from 1999 to 2004. As his health deteriorated, he had slowly withdrawn himself from public life and was confined to his residence for years.
- Yamuna again crosses danger mark; authorities issue directions to avoid flood-like situation 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Let contentious issues, extraneous debates not distract us: Prez's I-day message 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Falling rupee gives 'supreme leader' a vote of no-confidence: Rahul 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Traffic restrictions on some roads for I-Day function tomorrow 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No decision to shift Aero India from Bengaluru: Union min 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 'One nation, one poll' a good idea but not implementable at present: Nitish 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- I pleaded for burial space at Marina: Stalin 14 Aug 2018 | IANS
- SC to hear plea of 300 Army personnel challenging FIR against them in AFSPA areas 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 2 Pakistani soldiers killed by Indian Army in J-K's Kupwara 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee plummets to historic low of 70.09 on Turkish lira collapse 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | PNS | Bengaluru
Rs 8 lakh looted in Nimapara Bazar Nimapara: Four miscreants coming by two bikes on Tuesday at 11 am looted Rs 8 lakh from a cattle feed businessman in front of the Ananda Nursing Home at Nimapara main canal road 4. One Ranjan Sahoo of Rupadeipur village under the Balanga PS with his father-in-law was coming by a Bolero to Nimapara to pay the amount to the wholesaler...