Global Internet users to reach 3.47 bn in 2017
With the biggest surge in smartphone adoption happening in India and Vietnam and user base expected to grow by almost 20 per cent in both countries, the year will see 3.47 billion people using the Internet, market research firm eMarketer has said.
Internet users will represent 46.8 per cent of the global population and mobile phones will be the primary device for Internet access, used by 2.73 billion people, the firm added.
The number of Internet users in India is expected to reach 450-465 million, said the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and market research firm IMRB International. The report said overall Internet penetration in India was currently around 31 per cent.
Developing digital markets in Asia-Pacific region, Latin America and the Middle East and Africa will see the fastest Internet user growth from 2017-21, driven by widening mobile broadband coverage and smartphone adoption.
By 2019, more than half of the world will access the Internet regularly and in 2021 more than four billion people will be online.
However, Internet user growth will fall from 6.1 per cent this year to 3.5 per cent by 2021 as Intenet use hits saturation, the report said.
Meanwhile, tablet penetration among Internet users will decline this year.
About 32.9 per cent of Internet users worldwide will access a tablet this year, down from 33.2 per cent in 2016.
- Ebola death toll in DR Congo at 41; new drug in use 14 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Samsung Galaxy S10 won't be company's first 5G device 14 Aug 2018 | IANS
- I-Day: Metro services to begin early on Violet Line 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Centre declares Eid holiday on August 23 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No need to react to marriage rumours: Alia Bhatt 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Pedestrians injured in crash outside UK parliament 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Former WWE star Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart dies at 63 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Delhi ranked 65 on livability index among 111 cities 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Timings of 300 Northern Railway trains to change soon 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- London to get new Taj Vivanta hotel by 2021 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
14 Aug 2018 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
Governor Prof Ganeshi Lal released Odia version of ‘Exam Warriors’, written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, here on Monday. Releasing the book, the Governor said a common child can build self a superman by strong commitment and will power...