- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
HC to hear on July 16 plea against Netflix series 'Sacred Games'
The Delhi High Court today said it will hear on July 16 a plea seeking removal of certain scenes from the Netflix series 'Sacred Games', claiming that some of its content was derogatory to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
The matter came up before a bench of justices Sanjiv Khanna and Chander Shekhar which said it will go through the petition and CD and listed it for Monday.
The plea, which alleged that certain scenes and dialogues in the show defamed the late Congress leader, yesterday came up before a bench of Acting Chief Justice Gita Mittal and Justice C Hari Shankar, which said it be listed before another bench.
The acting chief justice had recused from hearing it without assigning any reason.
Petitioner advocate Nikhil Bhalla, in the petition filed through advocate Shashank Garg, contended that the show, starring Saif Ali Khan and Nawazuddin Siddiqui, "incorrectly depicts historical events of the country like Bofors case, Shah Bano case, Babri Masjid case and communal riots".
The plea has sought directions to Netflix Entertainment, the show's producer -- Phantom Films Production Ltd -- and the Centre to ensure "in toto" removal of the allegedly offensive scenes and derogatory remarks made directly or indirectly against the former prime minister or his family.
The first season of the show, comprising eight episodes, was released on July 6 and is available in 190 countries in four languages, the petition has said.
- Priyanka Chopra turns 36, celebrates in London 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- A Paul Walker documentary to premiere next month 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Elon Musk apologises to British caver for 'pedo' slur 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Model breastfeeds baby on catwalk -- and stirs debate 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Indian junior women's hockey team beats Belgium in U-23 tourney 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Marvel launching 'Black Panther' comic spin-ff 'Shuri' 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Google hit with record 4.3-bn-euro EU fine over Android 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Oil import from Iran; India, US hold crucial talks 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Yvonne Blake, 'Superman' costume designer, dies at 78 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Govt sets up committee to find ways to strengthen NCC, NSS 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...