Inida as a 6th largest economy, still needs to work on PCI
Emergence of India as the sixth largest economy was very much expected but still there is a long way to go as the per capita income of the country is still low, Niti Aayog vice chairman Rajiv Kumar said today.
The country, Kumar said, will have to develop capacity for intervening in the global stage in a meaningful manner as it is going to soon surpass the UK to become the fifth largest economy in the world.
"Very much expected. And this is result of our higher rate of growth. Soon we will overtake UK, that will be even better news.
"We will soon become the fifth largest economy in 2018 after the US, China, Japan and Germany. But our per capita income is still 20 times lower than France, so we cannot stop here," Kumar told PTI.
He further said that since now India is the sixth largest economy, so more and more will be expected from India on the global stage.
"So we will have make that necessary preparation and create those capacity where we can intervene in global stage in a meaningful way with a clear pursuit of our national interest.
"There, we will have to create our own model of thinking, our own model of strategic interventions,"the Niti Aayog vice chairman noted.
According to an analysis of data compiled by the World Bank, India emerged as the world's sixth largest economy in 2017 with a Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of USD 2.59 trillion, surpassing France and likely to go past the UK.
The GDP of France stood at USD 2.58 trillion in 2017. The UK, which is facing Brexit blues, had a GDP of USD 2.62 trillion -- about USD 25 billion more than that of India.
Indian economy grew at a seven-quarter high of 7.7 per cent in the three months ended March 2018, helped by higher government spending and investment.
According to the IMF' World Economic Outlook released in April this year, the size of the Indian economy was pegged at USD 2.61 trillion, ahead of France with a GDP of USD 2.58 trillion.
- Oil import from Iran; India, US hold crucial talks 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- EU set to fine Google billions over Android: sources 17 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Yvonne Blake, 'Superman' costume designer, dies at 78 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Govt sets up committee to find ways to strengthen NCC, NSS 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Facebook joins Skill India Mission to empower youth 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Trump under fire for defending Putin over poll meddling 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Vidya Balan Is All Set To Play NTR’s Wife Basavatarakam In Her First Telugu Film 17 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan among world's highest-paid celebs 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- SBI PO Pre Result 2018 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Guatemala volcano eruption toll reaches 116 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...