- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
'Indians among top downloaders of content on mobile phones for Netflix'
Indians rank among the top downloaders of content on mobile phones for Netflix and the company is working on a number of innovations to ensure a smooth viewing experience for its users in the country, a senior official said.
The premium video streaming platform is also focussing on expanding its content library for the Indian market.
Speaking to PTI, Netflix Director - Product Innovation Cameron Johnson said the company believes in "giving consumers more control".
"India is a key market for Netflix... We are cognizant to the various factors like patchy internet and phones with lesser internal memory and have introduced a number of features that allows users to experience the service in a seamless manner," he said.
Johnson said a large chunk of its users in India log on to the platform through their mobile phones and cited the example of downloading over WiFi for watching the content later.
"Our download feature has been a big hit in India -- Indians are amongst the top mobile downloaders in the world for Netflix content," he said.
The company is now introducing 'Smart Downloads'.
When a member finishes watching a downloaded episode, Smart Downloads will delete it, and then automatically download the next episode over WiFi, which ensures that Netflix does not take up additional space on the member's phone without their permission, Johnson explained.
He added that the feature works best for episodic content.
Smart Downloads will work for both Netflix International Originals as well as the other series available on the platform.
"In the past year, Netflix has more than doubled the catalogue in India, creating a compelling and growing content library encompassing original and licensed titles," he said.
Netflix recently released its first Indian original series -- Sacred Games.
Netflix has over 125 million users globally. It, however, does not give out country-specific subscriber numbers.
While Netflix plays in the premium content streaming space, it competes with the likes of Amazon Prime Video and Hotstar as well as other OTT players in the Indian market.
The competition in the video-on-demand space has intensified, especially after the launch of Reliance Jio's services as data tariffs have come down drastically in the country.
New players like Yupp TV, Hungama and ALTBalaji are actively expanding their library with original programming to tap into the Indian market.
- Priyanka Chopra turns 36, celebrates in London 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- A Paul Walker documentary to premiere next month 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Elon Musk apologises to British caver for 'pedo' slur 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Model breastfeeds baby on catwalk -- and stirs debate 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Indian junior women's hockey team beats Belgium in U-23 tourney 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Marvel launching 'Black Panther' comic spin-ff 'Shuri' 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Google hit with record 4.3-bn-euro EU fine over Android 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Oil import from Iran; India, US hold crucial talks 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Yvonne Blake, 'Superman' costume designer, dies at 78 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Govt sets up committee to find ways to strengthen NCC, NSS 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...