Naxal commander killed in encounter with security forces
A naxal commander was today gunned down in an encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh's insurgency-hit Bijapur district, police said.
The gun-battle took place early this morning in the jungles of Jaramongia jungles under Bhairamgarh police station limits when a joint team of District Reserve Guard (DRG) and local police was out on an anti-naxal operation, Bijapur Superintendent of Police Mohit Garg told PTI.
"When the patrolling team was cordoning off Jaramongia jungles, located around 500 kms away from the state capital, it came under heavy fire by a group of 25-30 ultras following which gun-battle broke out between the two sides," he said.
The exchange of fire lasted for about an hour, after which the ultras fled into the dense forest, he said.
"During search of the spot, the body of a Maoist clad in 'uniform' along with one 7.62 mm pistol and its 3 live rounds, explosives, detonators, tiffin bomb, naxal literature and Maoist related items were recovered from the spot," he said.
The deceased naxal was identified as Moti Farsa (28), who was active as Ider militia platoon commander of Maoists, Garg said.
Further details are awaited as security forces were still carrying out a search of the area, he added.
- Indian diaspora in US mourns Vajpayee's death 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Merkel, Putin share a headache: Donald Trump 17 Aug 2018 | AP
- Stress, overwork taking heavy toll : Elon Musk 17 Aug 2018 | AP
- Google employees protest over China search engine 17 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Pentagon postpones Trump's military parade 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Have lost part of my childhood: SRK on Vajpayee's death 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Australia teen breaches Apple's secure network 17 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Scarlett Johansson highest paid actress : Forbes 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Trump's media war 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- Free telecom services for People in Kerala 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | PNS | Jamshedpur
Tata Steel celebrated Nation’s 72nd Independence Day with patriotic fervour at its Jamshedpur Works and across its locations. The celebrations began with TV Narendran, CEO& Managing Director Tata Steel, hoisting the tricolor, which was followed by a ceremonial march past and the National Anthem...