- Atal Bihari Vajpayee to take place at 4 PM tomorrow at Rashtriya Smriti Sthal in Delhi
- Vajpayee to be accorded state funeral; 7 day mourning declared, flag to be flown at half
- Govt announces 7-day national mourning following demise of Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Former Prime Minister Vajpayee dead
- Kerala rains: 12 more NDRF teams sent
Northern Railways to monitor cleanliness of trains using WhatsApp groups
The Northern Railways will now monitor cleanliness of its trains using WhatsApp groups supervised by senior officials.
Every department, be it pantry, bed rolls etc., will have separate WhatsApp groups, in which status report of cleanliness will be uploaded on a daily basis.
"WhatsApp groups have been created for train and pantry cleanliness, bed rolls and functionality of air conditioners in trains. Photographs are being uploaded in these groups for monitoring by senior officials," Northern Railway General Manager Vishwesh Chaube said.
The zone will also soon commission an automatic coach washing plant at the Hazrat Nizamuddin railway station which can wash a 24-coach train thoroughly in under eight minutes.
The plant, which is currently undergoing trials at the station, is being set up by the Northern Railways at a cost of Rs 1.6 crore, he said.
The automatic plant will consume around 240 litres of water to wash a coach as against 1,500 litres required in manual washing, Chaube said, adding that the unit will use 20 per cent fresh water and 80 per cent recycled water.
The plant can wash 250 coaches per day, he said.
The coaches will be cleaned using vacuum cleaners, scrubbers and jet cleaning machines. Branded chemicals will be used instead of phenyl, and perfume and mosquito repellents will also be used, Chaube said.
"OBHS (on board housekeeping staff) is uploading time-stamped pictures on WhatsApp groups for monitoring," he added.
Chaube said under Project Utkrisht, eight trains having 16 rakes would be upgraded by the end of 2018-2019. These coaches would have anti-graffiti exterior paints, state-of-the-art toilet fittings and odour control system, among others.
To keep the station area and tracks clean, 4,415 bio-toilets have been fitted in coaches in 2017-2018 against a target of 4,000 and 6,000 more will be fitted in 2018-2019 to cover all NR coaches, he added.
There is a target of installing CCTVs in 340 coaches - 265 in Delhi and 75 in Ferozpur divisions - for online monitoring of cleanliness and safety, the GM said.
- Trump's media war 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- Free telecom services for People in Kerala 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 'Queen of Soul' Aretha Franklin dead at 76 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Vajpayee will be remembered for remarkable leadership: Naidu 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- China unveils vehicle to explore moon's far side 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Humbolt penguin gives birth to chick in Mumbai zoo 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Kareena to be showstopper at LFW finale 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Disney confirms James Gunn won't be hired back for 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3' 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Former India captain Ajit Wadekar no more 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Putin to attend Austrian foreign minister''s wedding 15 Aug 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
All private and Government schools will remain closed today as a mark of respect to former Prime Minister late Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Vajpayee passed away after prolonged illness at AIIMS in Delhi on Thursday...