Over 100 missiles fired at Syria, 'significant number' intercepted: Moscow
The US and its allies fired more than 100 cruise missiles at Syria, a significant number of which were intercepted by Syrian air defences, the Russian defence ministry said today.
"More than 100 cruise missiles and air-to-land missiles were fired by the US, Britain and France from the sea and air at Syrian military and civilian targets," the ministry said in a statement quoted by RIA Novosti news agency, adding that "a significant number" were shot down by Syrian air defences.
It said that 12 cruise missiles were fired at an airfield close to Damascus and all were intercepted by Syria's air defences. "Russian air defence systems located on Syrian territory have not been used to counter the missile strikes", it said.
It said earlier that none of the Western strikes in Syria had hit areas covered by Russia's air defences around its Hmeimim air base and naval facility in Tartus.
The Russian military said the missiles were fired from US ships in the Red Sea as well as from tactical aircraft over the Mediterranean and by US strategic bombers from the Al-Tanf base in southeastern Syria.
The US, France, and Britain announced a joint operation against Syria's government, a week after an alleged chemical attack outside the capital Damascus that was said to have left more than 40 people dead.
- CIA: China is waging a 'quiet kind of cold war' against US 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- US announces $200 mn military aid to Ukraine 21 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Ohio killer spared after extent of childhood abuse revealed 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James fired 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Deadly Israeli strikes pound Gaza after soldier killed 21 Jul 2018 | AFP
- China, UAE sign deals as president visits Abu Dhabi 20 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Divers search for bodies after duck boat accident kills 13 20 Jul 2018 | AP
- Suspect detained in killing of Olympic figure skating star 20 Jul 2018 | AP
- Trump threatens tariffs on all USD 505 bn of Chinese imports 20 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Merkel warns US of counter-measures over car tariffs threat 20 Jul 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of former State Finance Minister Dr Ramchandra Singhdeo. The Chief Minister reached the residence of legendary leader in the capital and paid floral tributes...