Prince Philip discharged from hospital after hip surgery
Britain's Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, today left hospital after a hip replacement surgery.
The 96-year-old waved to a small crowd as he was driven past King Edward VII's Hospital in London in a Range Rover.
Queen Elizabeth II's husband had been admitted to hospital on April 3 to undergo a planned procedure the following day.
Buckingham Palace said the prince will now spend his recuperation period at Windsor Castle, where he is expected to be joined by the monarch.
"His Royal Highness would like to convey his appreciation for the messages of good wishes he has received," the palace said in a statement.
His daughter, Princess Anne – the Princess Royal, was the only royal visitor to the hospital, who had described him "on good form" after she visited her father yesterday.
Prince Philip had announced his retirement in May 2017, after decades of supporting the Queen as well as attending events for his own charities and organisations.
A month later he was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital as "a precautionary measure" following an infection arising from a pre-existing condition.
His final solo engagement was in August last year, when he reviewed a parade of Royal Marines outside Buckingham Palace in his capacity as Captain General of the Corps. But he has since appeared several times at engagements alongside the 91-year-old queen.
His surgery comes ahead of a busy time for the royal family, with Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, due to give birth to her third child some time this month, and the wedding of his grandson, Prince Harry, with Meghan Markle on May 19.
- CIA: China is waging a 'quiet kind of cold war' against US 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- US announces $200 mn military aid to Ukraine 21 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Ohio killer spared after extent of childhood abuse revealed 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James fired 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Deadly Israeli strikes pound Gaza after soldier killed 21 Jul 2018 | AFP
- China, UAE sign deals as president visits Abu Dhabi 20 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Divers search for bodies after duck boat accident kills 13 20 Jul 2018 | AP
- Suspect detained in killing of Olympic figure skating star 20 Jul 2018 | AP
- Trump threatens tariffs on all USD 505 bn of Chinese imports 20 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Merkel warns US of counter-measures over car tariffs threat 20 Jul 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of former State Finance Minister Dr Ramchandra Singhdeo. The Chief Minister reached the residence of legendary leader in the capital and paid floral tributes...