Rains hit Lakshadweep islands, damage houses, uproot trees
Several houses suffered damage, coconut trees got uprooted and communication lines were disrupted as rains accompanied by strong winds lashed the Lakshadweep islands under the influence of Cyclone Ockhi.
Five fishing boats were damaged early today at Kalpeni island as water level rose due to heavy rains, sources said.
The 'very severe' cyclonic storm Ockhi - which in Bengali means 'eye' - over Lakshadweep is likely to intensify further in the next 24 hours.
It is likely to continue to move west-northwestwards across Lakshadweep islands during the next 24 hours and then recurve north eastwards during the subsequent 48 hours, according to the latest Met department bulletin.
Minicoy island received 14cm of rains in the last 24 hours ending at 0830 this morning, Met department sources said.
Coconut trees have been uprooted in various places and houses damaged in eastern Kalpeni and Minicoy, official sources said, adding the extent of the damage was being assessed.
The breakwater jetty, the embarkation and disembarkation point to Kalpeni island, has suffered severe damage.
Efforts were on to rescue fishermen who had ventured into the sea in 12 fishing boats from Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Gale winds with speed reaching 120-130kmph gusting to 145kmph is very likely over Lakshadweep in the next 24 hours and gradually decrease thereafter, the met bulletin said.
Giant waves were expected along the Kerala coast, official sources said.
Yesterday, 218 fishermen, stranded in mid-sea off the coast were brought safely to the shore through active coordination of various agencies including the Navy, the Air Force and the Coast Guard.
The rescued fishermen included 60 who were saved by a Japanese cargo vessel.
- Ebola death toll in DR Congo at 41; new drug in use 14 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Samsung Galaxy S10 won't be company's first 5G device 14 Aug 2018 | IANS
- I-Day: Metro services to begin early on Violet Line 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Centre declares Eid holiday on August 23 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No need to react to marriage rumours: Alia Bhatt 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Pedestrians injured in crash outside UK parliament 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Former WWE star Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart dies at 63 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Delhi ranked 65 on livability index among 111 cities 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Timings of 300 Northern Railway trains to change soon 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- London to get new Taj Vivanta hotel by 2021 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
14 Aug 2018 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
Governor Prof Ganeshi Lal released Odia version of ‘Exam Warriors’, written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, here on Monday. Releasing the book, the Governor said a common child can build self a superman by strong commitment and will power...