Rupee up 19 paise against dollar ahead of key macro data release
The rupee firmed up by 19 paise to 68.58 against the dollar in early trade today ahead of release of key index of industrial production (IIP) and inflation data amid foreign capital inflows.
Forex dealers said selling of the greenback by banks and exporters supported the rupee. However, dollar's strength against other currencies overseas, due to mounting US-China trade tensions and strong US inflation data, capped the gains.
Further, investor sentiment turned positive following higher opening of the domestic equity market, they added.
The benchmark BSE Sensex was trading an all-time high of 36,490.38, surging by 224.45, or 0.62 per cent, in opening trade today.
Yesterday, the rupee had gained 5 paise at 68.77 against the US currency today on the back of some stray dollar-selling by exporters and banks.
- Oil import from Iran; India, US hold crucial talks 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- EU set to fine Google billions over Android: sources 17 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Yvonne Blake, 'Superman' costume designer, dies at 78 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Govt sets up committee to find ways to strengthen NCC, NSS 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Facebook joins Skill India Mission to empower youth 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Trump under fire for defending Putin over poll meddling 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Vidya Balan Is All Set To Play NTR’s Wife Basavatarakam In Her First Telugu Film 17 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan among world's highest-paid celebs 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- SBI PO Pre Result 2018 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Guatemala volcano eruption toll reaches 116 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...