Strong 5.9-magnitude quake jolts Indonesia's Lombok
A strong aftershock struck Indonesia's Lombok today, causing panic among evacuees sheltering after a devastating earthquake killed more than 160 on the holiday island four days earlier.
The 5.9-magnitude quake Thursday struck at a shallow depth in the northwest of the island, the US Geological Survey said, even as relief agencies raced to find survivors among wreckage from Sunday's quake.
"The quake was felt strongly. There have been 355 aftershocks since Sunday," national disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said.
Evacuees at a shelter in northern Lombok's Tanjung district ran out onto the road crying and screaming, an AFP reporter at the scene said.
Motorcycles parked on the street toppled over and the walls of some nearby buildings collapsed.
A woman wearing a motorbike helmet was seen crying with her two daughters in her arms.
"We were stuck in the traffic while delivering aid, suddenly it felt like our car was hit from behind, it was so strong," witness Sri Laksmi told AFP.
"People in the street began to panic and got out of their cars, they ran in different directions in the middle of the traffic." The aftershock comes after Sunday's devastating 6.9-magnitude earthquake, which relief agencies said had wiped out entire villages in the worst-hit regions of northern and western Lombok.
A total of 164 people have been confirmed killed in Sunday's quake, national disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told AFP, with a further 1,400 seriously injured and more than 150,000 displaced.
Relief efforts had yet to reach parts of the island even before Thursday's aftershock, Indonesian authorities said, with hopes fading of finding further survivors among the wreckage.
"The earthquake does not have any tsunami potential," Hary Tirto Djatmiko, spokesman for Indonesia's meteorology, climatology and geophysics agency (BMKG), said of Thursday's aftershock.
- NASA's Parker Solar Probe operating as planned: Scientists 18 Aug 2018 | IANS
- N Korea urges Trump to be 'bold' on denuclearisation 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Asiad a proving ground for 2020 Tokyo Olympics : Japan 18 Aug 2018 | AP
- 'Tearful' Musk aims for $25,000 Tesla car 18 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Death toll rises to 42 in Italy bridge collapse 18 Aug 2018 | AP
- UN chief 'saddened' over destruction by Kerala flood 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Google Doodle on opening day of 18th Asiad 18 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Cricketer who struggled for 22 years to become Pak PM 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Merkel expects tough talks with Putin 17 Aug 2018 | AFP
- China says will extend fresh invitation to Mamata 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Five years after the renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen in Pune, the CBI on Saturday arrested one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly pulled the trigger. Identiying the arrested person as one Sachin Prakashrao Andure from Aurangabad, a senior official said that Andure was one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly shot Dr Dabholkar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...