Trump 'destroys trust' with G7 tweets: Germany
US President Donald Trump partly "destroyed" Washington's trusting relationship with Europe by pulling out of a joint communique after the G7 summit, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas tweeted today.
"You can destroy an incredible amount of trust very quickly in a tweet. That makes it all the more important that Europe stands together and defends its interests even more offensively," Maas posted.
"Europe United is the answer to America First." Trump rejected the text of a consensus statement, traditionally a paean to shared Western values and objectives under American leadership, in angry tweets from Air Force One.
He departed early from the Quebec gathering yesterday for a one-on-one meeting with North Korea's Kim Jong Un in Singapore.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had told reporters that "Canadians are polite and reasonable but we will also not be pushed around" over Trump's decision to invoke national security to justify US tariffs on steel and aluminium imports.
"Based on Justin's false statements at his news conference, and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs to our US farmers, workers and companies, I have instructed our US Reps not to endorse the Communique as we look at Tariffs on automobiles flooding the US Market!" Trump tweeted in response.
The US leader's abrupt withdrawal drew widespread condemnation today from across the German political spectrum.
"How can one hold at all worthwhile negotiations with a White House that doesn't understand the basics of the global economic order and lives in a twisted, ramshackle fantasy world?" asked a commentator in major conservative newspaper Die Welt.
- Indian diaspora in US mourns Vajpayee's death 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Merkel, Putin share a headache: Donald Trump 17 Aug 2018 | AP
- Stress, overwork taking heavy toll : Elon Musk 17 Aug 2018 | AP
- Google employees protest over China search engine 17 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Pentagon postpones Trump's military parade 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Have lost part of my childhood: SRK on Vajpayee's death 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Australia teen breaches Apple's secure network 17 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Scarlett Johansson highest paid actress : Forbes 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Trump's media war 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- Free telecom services for People in Kerala 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | PNS | Jamshedpur
Tata Steel celebrated Nation’s 72nd Independence Day with patriotic fervour at its Jamshedpur Works and across its locations. The celebrations began with TV Narendran, CEO& Managing Director Tata Steel, hoisting the tricolor, which was followed by a ceremonial march past and the National Anthem...