- Atal Bihari Vajpayee to take place at 4 PM tomorrow at Rashtriya Smriti Sthal in Delhi
- Vajpayee to be accorded state funeral; 7 day mourning declared, flag to be flown at half
- Govt announces 7-day national mourning following demise of Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Former Prime Minister Vajpayee dead
- Kerala rains: 12 more NDRF teams sent
Trump prefers government shutdown in absence of DACA wall deal
US President Donald Trump today preferred a government shut down in the absence of an immigration deal with the opposition Democrats, which essentially has boiled down to a USD 25 billion Congressional approval for a path to citizenship to 1.8 million "Dreamers".
The Democrats oppose the funding for Trump's highly touted wall along the US border with Mexico. Trump has been saying that there can be no deal on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) without the wall.
DACA is an Obama-era policy protecting about 8,00,000 people, who were brought to the US illegally as children or came with their parents, from being deported. It, however, does not provide a path to citizenship. These illegal immigrants are often referred to as "Dreamers".
"I'd love to see a shut down if we can't get this stuff taken care of. If we have to shut it down because the Democrats don't want safety...Let's shut it down," Trump told reporters at a White House event with reporters.
In the absence of an agreement, the Democrats have threatened to vote against a short-term extension of federal spending.
Although the ruling Republican party has a majority in the House and the Senate, it cannot get the short-term spending bill through the Senate as it falls nine votes short of the 60 of the 100 required for procedural votes leading to the actual vote.
- Trump's media war 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- Free telecom services for People in Kerala 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 'Queen of Soul' Aretha Franklin dead at 76 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Vajpayee will be remembered for remarkable leadership: Naidu 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- China unveils vehicle to explore moon's far side 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Humbolt penguin gives birth to chick in Mumbai zoo 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Kareena to be showstopper at LFW finale 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Disney confirms James Gunn won't be hired back for 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3' 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Former India captain Ajit Wadekar no more 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Putin to attend Austrian foreign minister''s wedding 15 Aug 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
All private and Government schools will remain closed today as a mark of respect to former Prime Minister late Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Vajpayee passed away after prolonged illness at AIIMS in Delhi on Thursday...