Weinstein is trying to discredit women of colour
Hollywood star Salma Hayek believes disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein only responded to her and Lupita Nyong'o's sexual harassment claims because women of colour are ''the easiest to get discredited''.
The 51-year-old actor was one of the innumerable women who came forward last year to accuse Weinstein of sexual harassment.
The producer issued denials following Hayek and Nyong'o's revelations, while he had not responded to dozens of other women who had shared their stories.
"He only responded to two women, two women of colour. It was a strategy by the lawyers, because we are the easiest to get discredited. It is a well-known fact, if you are a woman of colour, people believe what you say less.
"So, he went attacking the two women of colour, in hopes that if he could discredit us, he could then maybe discredit the rest," Hayek told Variety during Women In Motion panel discussion at Cannes Film Festival.
The actor believes Weinstein had cast a long shadow over the industry.
"The men are terrified. The predators are hiding and terrified. You feel it. It's a very palpable atmosphere," she added.
Hayek hopes that the #MeToo movement will offer a chance to men to re-examine their own roles, both in the film industry, and in society as a whole.
"It's a very exciting time for men now. Men have the opportunity, which is so beautiful, to rethink what does it mean to be a man," she said.
- Merkel warns US of counter-measures over car tariffs threat 20 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Trump invites Putin to US for talks 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter join Data Transfer Project 20 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Rahul hugs Modi and says this is Congress 20 Jul 2018 | IANS
- ‘SC stays Madras HC order awarding grace marks to NEET students 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Thailand seeks control over movies about cave ordeal 20 Jul 2018 | AP
- S Korea's ex-president imprisoned for 8 more years 20 Jul 2018 | AFP
- China on "wrong side" of religious freedom: Pompeo 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Trump commits job training for 3.8 mn American workers 20 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Google shows Trump's photo if you search for 'idiot' 20 Jul 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Governor Anandiben Patel has said that tourism has enhanced in Madhya Pradesh in recent years. Employment to maximum people could be provided through tourism industry...