Tonga parliament flattened by cyclone
Nukualofa (Tonga): The 100-year-old parliament building in the Pacific nation of Tonga was destroyed by cyclone Gita, the worst storm to hit the country in more than 60 years, on Tuesday.
Gita, a category four storm, battered the island overnight and caused widespread damage, reports the BBC.
S Africa declares drought a ‘national disaster’
Cape Town: South Africa today declared a “national disaster” over a drought that has ravaged parts of the country and threatened to leave the city of Cape Town without domestic tap water.
Four dead as storm hits Philippines
Manila: Four people were killed in the southern Philippines on Tuesday as a tropical storm unleashed heavy rain and triggered deadly landslides, police said. Tropical Storm Sanba slammed the east coast of the main southern island of Mindanao Tuesday with gusts of 75 kilometres an hour.
Two dead in Guinea in clashes
Conakry: At least two men died on Tuesday in clashes between demonstrators and riot police in Guinea, following protests over local election results and the resumption of a teachers’ strike, a Government spokesman said.
ex-S Korean Prez’s friend jailed for 20 yrs
Seoul: A Seoul court sentenced Choi Soon-sil, a close friend of former President Park Geun-hye, to 20 years in prison on Tuesday for a string of corruption charges linked to a massive influence-peddling scandal that led to Park’s impeachment.
- Globe Trotting 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Turkey accuses US of ‘stab in back’ 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Imran Khan borrows waistcoat from NA employee for official photo 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Panama case: ISI officer included to ‘spice it up’, says Pak CJ 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- China printing currencies for countries like Nepal, Lanka and B’desh 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- EU seeks safe harbour for ship carrying 141 rescued migrants 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- No war, no negotiations with US: Iran 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- Imran Khan among 329 newly-elected members of Parliament takes oath 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Turkey’s currency keeps falling 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- No room in US for ‘neo-nazism’, says Ivanka Trump 13 Aug 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...