Haspel named CIA chief despite torture claims
Washington: A key US Senate Committee on Wednesday approved the nomination of veteran intelligence officer Gina Haspel to become the new director of the CIA despite the bitter debate over her role in the torture used by the US on Al-Qaeda detainees in the early 2000s.Her nomination now goes to the full Senate for confirmation. If confirmed, she would be the first woman director of the Central Intelligence Agency.
Novel drug may beat common cold: study
London: Researchers have identified a molecule that can combat the common cold virus by preventing it from hijacking human cells.
2 Indian nationals held with gold in Nepal
Kathmandu: Two Indian nationals were arrested on Wednesday for allegedly smuggling half a kilogram of gold in a jeep in western Nepal, officials said.
- Turkey increases tariffs on some US goods, escalating feud 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- Anger grows in Italy as bridge toll rises to 39 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- PTI nominees elected as Pak Speaker, Dy Speaker 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- US blacklists Russian, Chinese companies for breaking N Korea embargo 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Suicide bomber targets Shia students in Kabul, killing 48 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- ‘India set example for world by supporting democracy, diversity’ 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Scotland Yard returns 12th century stolen Buddha statue to India 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Increase in Indians crossing into US from Mexico and seeking asylum: Report 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Indian-origin restaurateur racially targeted in US 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Indians in Netherlands celebrate Independence Day 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...