B’desh SC grants bail to ex-PM Zia in graft case
Bangladesh’s former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia, serving a five-year jail term in a corruption case, was on Wednesday granted bail by the country’s Supreme Court, which upheld a high court order in her favour.
Her lawyers, however, said that the verdict was unlikely to bring Zia out of prison as her bail pleas in six other cases against her were pending hearing. Court officials said a four-member bench of Supreme Court’s Appellate Division headed by chief justice Syed Mahmud Hossain decided to grant Zia bail, upholding a previous High Court order.
The apex court also directed the High Court to dispose of by July 31 the hearing of Zia’s appeal petition against her conviction and imprisonment in the Zia Orphanage Trust corruption case which sent her to jail, they said.
“We expect to secure her bail in the pending cases as well,” her lawyer Joynal Abedin said.
The 72-year-old Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson was jailed for five years on February 8 over the embezzlement of 21 million taka (about USD 250,000) in foreign donations meant for the Zia Orphanage Trust, named after her husband late Ziaur Rahman, a military ruler-turned-politician.
Zia has been in the old jailhouse on Nazimuddin Road, Dhaka after she was convicted in the case.
- Turkey increases tariffs on some US goods, escalating feud 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- Anger grows in Italy as bridge toll rises to 39 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- PTI nominees elected as Pak Speaker, Dy Speaker 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- US blacklists Russian, Chinese companies for breaking N Korea embargo 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Suicide bomber targets Shia students in Kabul, killing 48 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- ‘India set example for world by supporting democracy, diversity’ 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Scotland Yard returns 12th century stolen Buddha statue to India 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Increase in Indians crossing into US from Mexico and seeking asylum: Report 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Indian-origin restaurateur racially targeted in US 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Indians in Netherlands celebrate Independence Day 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...