China bans ‘wrongly educated’ India-trained monks
A Chinese county has banned Tibetan Monks “wrongly educated” in India from teaching Buddhism, fearing that they may spread “separatist” content, according to a state-run media report.
“Monks wrongly educated in India are banned from teaching Buddhism to residents of Litang county in Southwest China’s Sichuan Province,” state-run Global Times quoted an official as saying yesterday.
The county conducts patriotic education classes every year for those educated and awarded Gexe Lharampa - the highest academic degree in Tibetan Buddhist studies - in India, an official from Litang’s ethnic and religious affairs bureau told the paper.
Those who behaved improperly at the patriotic classes or showed “any signs of separatist intent” are strictly monitored and banned from teaching Buddhism to the public, the official said.
The move was a standard practice every year “in response to the county’s severe separatist situation,” the official said.
- No children? Pay a tax, Chinese academics suggest 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Chinese plane slides off Manila runway causing flight delays 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Ebola cases in DR Congo rise to 78, 44 dead 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Pak court issues arrest warrant against Zardari in money laundering 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sri Lankan police question former President Rajapaksa 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Nepal Govt under fire for curbing press freedom 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Merkel, Putin share a headache, says Trump 18 Aug 2018 | AP
- Sidhu to attend Imran’s oath-taking ceremony 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Globe Trotting 18 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Imran elected as Pak’s new PM 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Five years after the renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen in Pune, the CBI on Saturday arrested one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly pulled the trigger. Identiying the arrested person as one Sachin Prakashrao Andure from Aurangabad, a senior official said that Andure was one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly shot Dr Dabholkar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...