Germany ‘captive of Russia’: US Prez
US President Donald Trump launched a blistering attack on Germany on Wednesday ahead of a NATO summit here, accusing it of being beholden to Russia as it buys energy from Moscow.
“Germany is captive to Russia because it’s getting so much of its energy from Moscow,” Trump said at a meeting with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, his first since arriving in the Brussels.
He arrived in Brussels on Tuesday evening here for the summit scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday, after which he is expected to visit Britain and later meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Finland’s capital Helsinki, the Washington Post reported.
Trump went on to complain that the US was expected to”defend them against Russia”, despite Germany making”billions of dollars” in energy payments to Moscow.”I think it’s something that NATO has to look at,” the US President said.
He earlier protested about Europe’s “lagging defence spending”, saying that NATO nations were taking advantage of US military largesse at the same time they were offering unfair trade terms to US businesses.
Trump targeted Germany as it has not met its NATO spending commitments and is beginning construction of a second natural gas pipeline to Russia.
Stoltenberg pushed back on the US President’s comments, saying that while there may be differences of opinion within the alliance,”we are stronger together than apart”.
Trump retorted by again asking how the NATO alliance could be stronger when Germany is”making Russia richer”.
- Puerto Rico allowing transgender people to fix birth certificates 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Obama gives Trump sharp rebuke in Mandela address on values 18 Jul 2018 | AP
- ISIS suicide bomber kills 20 in Afghan: Officials 18 Jul 2018 | AP
- Asking voters whom they’ve voted for can land a person in jail for 3 yrs in Pakistan 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Europe, Japan sign massive free trade deal 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Trump under fire over poll meddling comments 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Female Gurkhas in British Army from 2020 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Globe trotting 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Nawaz Sharif challenges 10-yr jail term 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Senior ANP leader survives assassination attempt in Pak 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...