Guatemala opens Israel embassy in Jerusalem after US move
Guatemala inaugurated its Israel embassy in Jerusalem on Wednesday, becoming the first country to follow in the footsteps of the United States’ deeply controversial move.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales were among officials attending an inauguration ceremony at the new embassy at an office park in the disputed city at the heart of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The US and Guatemalan moves break with decades of international consensus.
Netanyahu profusely praised the Central American nation for making the move and noted it came only two days after the United States opened its embassy in Jerusalem. The Israeli premier said he would visit Guatemala on his next visit to Latin America. The US embassy move on Monday was accompanied by mass protests and clashes along the Gaza border that saw Israeli forces kill 60 Palestinians.
- Turkey increases tariffs on some US goods, escalating feud 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- Anger grows in Italy as bridge toll rises to 39 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- PTI nominees elected as Pak Speaker, Dy Speaker 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- US blacklists Russian, Chinese companies for breaking N Korea embargo 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Suicide bomber targets Shia students in Kabul, killing 48 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- ‘India set example for world by supporting democracy, diversity’ 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Scotland Yard returns 12th century stolen Buddha statue to India 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Increase in Indians crossing into US from Mexico and seeking asylum: Report 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Indian-origin restaurateur racially targeted in US 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Indians in Netherlands celebrate Independence Day 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...