Gunmen open fire at home of Pak Supreme Court judge
The residence of a Supreme Court judge who is monitoring the corruption cases against ousted premier Nawaz Sharif came under firing by unknown gunmen on Sunday, triggering widespread condemnation in Pakistan.
No casualty or injury was reported in the firing incident at the house of Justice Ijaz ul Ahsan in Model Town Lahore.
According to a statement issued by the Supreme Court, Justice Ahsan’s residence was targeted twice at 4:30am and 9am on Sunday.
Following the incident, Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar reached Justice Ahsan’s house and summoned Punjab Inspector General Arif Nawaz Khan.
The Chief Justice is personally monitoring the situation, it said, adding that a forensic team has also reached the scene to collect evidence while ballistic experts are called in to determine the nature of fire.
The police officials are investigating whether it was a targeted attack or aerial firing, it said.
Police said two bullets have been fired - one at the entrance gate and other at kitchen door.
“Elite force commandos have cordoned off the area and investigation is underway,” police spokesman Niyab Haider said, adding that the Rangers have also been deployed at the residence of Justice Ahsan.
Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, Pakistan People’s Party chairman Bilawal Bhutto and the Supreme Court Bar Association and Lahore High Court Bar Association condemned the incident.
- Trump to invite Putin to Washington this year: WH 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- North Korea puts reunion of war-separated families in doubt 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- Putin, Trump talked about a referendum for eastern Ukraine 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- More than 300 older children split at border are reunited 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- Russia shows off Putin’s ‘super weapons’ 21 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Globe Trotting 21 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Trump ‘ready’ to tax all Chinese imports 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- Personal health data of PM among 1.5 mn, Singaporeans hacked 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Pak Army has no direct role in July 25 general elections: Official 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Chinese President visits UAE amid push to increase influence 20 Jul 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of former State Finance Minister Dr Ramchandra Singhdeo. The Chief Minister reached the residence of legendary leader in the capital and paid floral tributes...