Hamas using embassy as ‘excuse’ for violence: US
Hamas, the Islamist movement that rules Gaza, is using the controversial unveiling of the American embassy in Jerusalem as an “excuse” to encourage violence, the US State Department said on Wednesday, after Israeli forces killed 60 Palestinians during protests.
When pressed by journalists in Washington, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert refused to follow other Western countries in calling for restraint from Israel, or even all parties.
“This is a complex region,” Nauert said.
While asserting that “we regret the loss of life; we regret the loss of all life,” Nauert also reiterated the White House position: “Israel has a right to defend itself.” Nauert declined to link the violence with the new American embassy, unveiled Monday after the United States unilaterally recognized Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
The Palestinians claim east Jerusalem as the capital of their future state.
“We have watched the demonstrations over the past six weeks. These demonstrations are nothing new,” Nauert said. “If Hamas wants to use that as an excuse to rile people up and to encourage violence, that is their choice. It’s an irresponsible choice.” Israel is coming under mounting international pressure and calls for an independent probe over the violence.
- Turkey increases tariffs on some US goods, escalating feud 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- Anger grows in Italy as bridge toll rises to 39 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- PTI nominees elected as Pak Speaker, Dy Speaker 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- US blacklists Russian, Chinese companies for breaking N Korea embargo 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Suicide bomber targets Shia students in Kabul, killing 48 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- ‘India set example for world by supporting democracy, diversity’ 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Scotland Yard returns 12th century stolen Buddha statue to India 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Increase in Indians crossing into US from Mexico and seeking asylum: Report 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Indian-origin restaurateur racially targeted in US 16 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Indians in Netherlands celebrate Independence Day 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...