Heavy snow strands 430 people overnight on train in Japan
About 430 people were stuck on a train overnight in Japan because of heavy snow that blanketed much of the country’s Japan Sea coast, a railway official said on Friday.
The train started moving again about 15 hours after it had been forced to stop the previous evening, said Shinichi Seki, a spokesman for the Niigata branch of JR East railway company. AP
The four-car train departed Niigata city in heavy snow Thursday at 4:25 p.M., more than an hour behind schedule, Seki said. As the snow accumulated, the train’s wheels couldn’t turn anymore, and it stopped between stations about 7 p.M. At a railway crossing.
Officials decided it was too risky to evacuate all the passengers because of the deep snow and darkness, Seki said. The train had electricity and heat and toilets. Five passengers who said they did not feel well were taken off.
Some passengers were allowed to leave the train after sunrise with the help of railroad personnel, if family members had come to meet them.
Trains continued to be delayed or suspended on Friday. Seki apologized for the major trouble caused to travelers.
- No children? Pay a tax, Chinese academics suggest 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Chinese plane slides off Manila runway causing flight delays 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Ebola cases in DR Congo rise to 78, 44 dead 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Pak court issues arrest warrant against Zardari in money laundering 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sri Lankan police question former President Rajapaksa 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Nepal Govt under fire for curbing press freedom 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Merkel, Putin share a headache, says Trump 18 Aug 2018 | AP
- Sidhu to attend Imran’s oath-taking ceremony 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Globe Trotting 18 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Imran elected as Pak’s new PM 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Aug 2018 | PNS | lOHARDAGA
Four ministers of School Children’s Parliament of Govt Middle school Narauli were felicitated for their outstanding leadership and excellent services in school management on the occasion of 72nd Independence Day. After the flag hoisting programme President Ramdayal Oraon, Prime Minister Sheela Oraon, Education Minister Anjali Oraon and Nutrition Minister Chandmuni Oraon were given certificate of appreciation and Oxford English Grammar book as prize...