Her life saved, Bulgarian cow Penka waits to rejoin herd
Swatting away the flies with her long tail, Penka the cow happily munches on hay, unaware of the international stir she has caused.
The cow from the Bulgarian village of Kopilovtsi has won fame and Europe-wide support since she wandered into neighboring Serbia for two weeks last month and authorities threatened to put her down on her return.
Bulgaria is a European Union member, Serbia isn’t. EU rules state that any animal entering the bloc from the outside must have proper veterinary approvals and Penka didn’t, so she faced a death sentence.
But after the outcry — pro-Penka campaigners included former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney — authorities ran tests on Penka that proved she was healthy.
“So many people saw our story and expressed their support,” owner Raina Georgieva said this week. “I believed that there would be mercy for our Penka.” Nonetheless, Penka has been confined to a separate quarantine box in the
village waiting for the authorities to allow her to join the rest of the herd.
Georgieva said she and her husband got Penka only several months ago and were worried how the tests would come out. “It turned out she is absolutely healthy,” Georgieva smiled. Thousands of people have signed a petition to save Penka and her case was discussed during a European Commission daily briefing. McCartney wrote on Twitter: “She’s done nothing wrong.”
- Globe Trotting 17 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Students begin school year at Florida school, six months after massacre 17 Aug 2018 | AFP
- UN panel calls on Bahrain to release activist Nabeel Rajab 17 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Keita re-elected Mali President with landslide 17 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Trump revokes security clearance of ex-CIA director John Brennan 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 2 mosques attacked with catapults and ball bearings in UK 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Kim Jong Nam murder trial: Malaysia court to deliver key ruling 17 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Russia ponders retaliatory measures against America 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Turkey increases tariffs on some US goods, escalating feud 16 Aug 2018 | AP
- Anger grows in Italy as bridge toll rises to 39 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | PNS | Jamshedpur
Tata Steel celebrated Nation’s 72nd Independence Day with patriotic fervour at its Jamshedpur Works and across its locations. The celebrations began with TV Narendran, CEO& Managing Director Tata Steel, hoisting the tricolor, which was followed by a ceremonial march past and the National Anthem...