Israel warns over Iran’s presence in Syria after air strikes
Israel issued stark warnings on Sunday over Iran’s presence in neighbouring Syria after a confrontation threatened to open a new and unpredictable period in the country’s seven-year civil war.
Israel carried out major air raids in Syria yesterday, including against what it described as Iranian targets in the country — the first time it had publicly acknowledged doing so since the war began. The raids came after an Israeli F16 fighter jet was shot down by Syrian air defences. The pilots survived, but it was Israel’s first loss of a warplane in battle since 1982.
“We inflicted on Saturday a heavy blow to Iranian and Syrian forces,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said at the start of today’s cabinet meeting.
“We made clear to everyone that our rules of engagement will not change in any way. We will continue to harm anyone who tries to harm us. This was our policy and this will remain our policy.”
Other Israeli ministers spoke of refusing to accept Iran entrenching itself militarily in Syria, as Netanyahu has said repeatedly. Tehran denies it is doing so.While several analysts said they did not expect a further escalation in the coming days, some spoke of the possibility of the Syrian war entering a new phase.Syria has become more emboldened to try to stop Israeli strikes inside the country, while Israel wants to maintain its ability to operate there when it sees fit, said Ofer Zalzberg of the International Crisis Group think tank.
Israel has sought to stay out of direct involvement in the Syrian war, but it acknowledges carrying out dozens of air strikes there to stop what it describes as deliveries of advanced weapons to Lebanese Shiite group Hezbollah.
- Globe Trotting 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Turkey accuses US of ‘stab in back’ 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Imran Khan borrows waistcoat from NA employee for official photo 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Panama case: ISI officer included to ‘spice it up’, says Pak CJ 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- China printing currencies for countries like Nepal, Lanka and B’desh 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- EU seeks safe harbour for ship carrying 141 rescued migrants 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- No war, no negotiations with US: Iran 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- Imran Khan among 329 newly-elected members of Parliament takes oath 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Turkey’s currency keeps falling 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- No room in US for ‘neo-nazism’, says Ivanka Trump 13 Aug 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...