Kim Jong meets high-ranking Chinese envoy in Pyongyang
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has met with a high-ranking Chinese diplomat in Pyongyang, amid a flurry of diplomacy following Kim’s recent surprise visit to Beijing.
Song Tao, who heads the ruling Communist Party’s International Department, led an art troupe to Pyongyang to attend an arts festival, according to China’s Foreign Ministry.
Kim made an unannounced trip to Beijing last month ahead of potentially breakthrough meetings with South Korean President Moon Jae-in and US President Donald Trump.
Kim’s trip, during which he met with Chinese President Xi Jinping, was considered an attempt to repair traditionally warm ties with China that have deteriorated over North Korea’s development of ballistic missile and nuclear weapons technology and China’s enforcement of United Nations economic sanctions.
Kim said during his meeting with Song on Saturday that he and Xi “reached important consensus” in Beijing, according to China’s official Xinhua News Agency.
Song agreed that the two leaders had reached consensus, and said China is willing to work with North Korea to safeguard peace on the Korean Peninsula, Xinhua reported.
Kim is scheduled to meet with Moon on April 27 in the Demilitarised Zone that divides the Koreas. He is expected to meet with Trump in May or June.
- Trump to invite Putin to Washington this year: WH 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- North Korea puts reunion of war-separated families in doubt 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- Putin, Trump talked about a referendum for eastern Ukraine 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- More than 300 older children split at border are reunited 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- Russia shows off Putin’s ‘super weapons’ 21 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Globe Trotting 21 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Trump ‘ready’ to tax all Chinese imports 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- Personal health data of PM among 1.5 mn, Singaporeans hacked 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Pak Army has no direct role in July 25 general elections: Official 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Chinese President visits UAE amid push to increase influence 20 Jul 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
22 Jul 2018 | PTI | Bengaluru
Expecting early Lok Sabha polls by December, Congress in Karnataka on Saturday said it has begun preparations for the elections that it claimed would instal a "non-BJP" Government at the Centre. In the run-up to the polls, Congress said it has decided to reorganise the party from grassroots to pradesh congress committee level...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh reviewed the preparations and programmes on scheduled visit of President Ramnath Kovind to Chhattisgarh with his cabinet colleagues and senior officials at his official residence on Saturday. President is scheduled to visit the State on July 25 and 26 at Dantewada and Bastar (Jagdalpur)...