Make clear distinction between regular and illegal migrants: India to UN
India has asked the UN to make a clear distinction between regular and illegal migrants who cannot be treated at par with legal immigrants, who contribute significantly to the economic and cultural fabric of their host and origin countries.
India’s Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN Tanmaya Lal said that Mahatma Gandhi, who studied, worked and lived in South Africa and England for considerable periods of time, was among the most well-known international migrants who contributed hugely to our collective progress.
Addressing a conference on the Global Compact on migration yesterday, he said that most nation states and societies have been built upon waves of migration over the past several centuries, but today it has become a “complex” and “divisive” issue.
“We are talking about the regular or legal migrants here. Regrettably, we find that the current discourse on this Global Compact is not only coloured negatively in the contexts of ongoing large movement of refugees in and the uneven impact of globalisation, but also the context of the phenomenon of illegal migration in some countries,” he said.
- No children? Pay a tax, Chinese academics suggest 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Chinese plane slides off Manila runway causing flight delays 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Ebola cases in DR Congo rise to 78, 44 dead 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Pak court issues arrest warrant against Zardari in money laundering 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sri Lankan police question former President Rajapaksa 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Nepal Govt under fire for curbing press freedom 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Merkel, Putin share a headache, says Trump 18 Aug 2018 | AP
- Sidhu to attend Imran’s oath-taking ceremony 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Globe Trotting 18 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Imran elected as Pak’s new PM 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Five years after the renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen in Pune, the CBI on Saturday arrested one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly pulled the trigger. Identiying the arrested person as one Sachin Prakashrao Andure from Aurangabad, a senior official said that Andure was one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly shot Dr Dabholkar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...