- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Merkel fires back at Trump: Germany makes ‘independent decisions’
Chancellor Angela Merkel on Wednesday said Germany makes” independent decisions”, firing back at US President Donald Trump after he accused Berlin of being a”captive” of Russia.
“I myself have also experienced a part of Germany being occupied by the Soviet Union,” Merkel, who grew up in communist East Germany, said as she arrived at a tense NATO summit.
“I am very glad that we are united today in freedom as the Federal Republic of Germany and that we can therefore also make our own independent policies and make our own independent decisions.” Trump said today that Germany was a”captive” and”controlled” by Russia because of the country’s dependence on Russian gas which is set to increase with the construction of a new pipeline.
Merkel also addressed repeated criticism from Trump over Germany’s military spending, which is below the target level agreed by NATO members.
“Germany owes a lot to NATO,” Merkel added.”The fact that reunification has taken place also has a great deal to do with NATO, but Germany is also doing a great deal for NATO.
“We are the second largest provider of troops, we put most of our military capabilities at the service of NATO,” she said.
NATO members agreed in 2014 to aim to raise their annual military spending to the equivalent of two per cent of gross domestic product.
Figures released from NATO yesterday showed Europe’s biggest economy spent just 1.24 per cent of GDP on defence, compared with 3.5 per cent for the US.
Under new plans, Germany has announced its intention to raise its defence spending by 80 per cent over the next decade.
- British PM wins key Brexit vote despite ongoing rebellion 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Yemen Houthi leader willing to give UN control of key port 19 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Pakistan Army supporting religious extremists, alleges US lawmaker 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Uranium stockpile reaches 950 tonnes: Iran nuclear chief 19 Jul 2018 | AP
- Harkat-ul-Mujahideen founder announces support for Imran 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Trump asked Rouhani for meeting 8 times at UN: Official 19 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Had very good meeting with Putin, more in the offing: US President 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Trump: No ‘time limit’ to denuclearise N Korea 19 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Puerto Rico allowing transgender people to fix birth certificates 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Obama gives Trump sharp rebuke in Mandela address on values 18 Jul 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
The court ordered anti-encroachment drive continued in Dehradun with 280 encroachments being demolished and 185 being marked on Wednesday. A total of 2196 encroachments have been demolished, 4674 have been marked and 88 buildings have been sealed so far...