Netanyahu refrains from commenting on Trump Jerusalem plan
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Wednesday refrained from commenting on US President Donald Trump's intention to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital in his first speech since the plan was confirmed.
Netanyahu, speaking at a diplomatic conference organised by The Jerusalem Post newspaper, instead focused on Israel's security and economic ties with countries globally during his 20-minute speech.Trump's plan, to be announced later today, has set off alarm bells around the world.
Other Israeli ministers commented on the plan, hailing it as a historic move.”I call upon other countries to follow the United States and recognise Jerusalem as the Jewish and undivided capital,” Education Minister Naftali Bennett, head of the far-right Jewish Home party, said at the conference.
“The United States is adding another brick to the walls of Jerusalem, to the foundation of the Jewish nation.” Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked, also of Jewish Home, said: “I think it is a victory of the American people and the American spirit.”
Intelligence and Transport Minister Yisrael Katz, of Netanyahu's right-wing Likud party, said Trump's decision to recognise Jerusalem means “this is an historic day”.
“Whoever does not recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel does not recognise the right of Israel to exist as a Jewish state,” he said.
“We expect the international community to support President Trump's decision.”
The Palestinians fiercely oppose the move and have called for three “days of rage” to protest against it.
- Globe Trotting 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Turkey accuses US of ‘stab in back’ 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Imran Khan borrows waistcoat from NA employee for official photo 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Panama case: ISI officer included to ‘spice it up’, says Pak CJ 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- China printing currencies for countries like Nepal, Lanka and B’desh 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- EU seeks safe harbour for ship carrying 141 rescued migrants 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- No war, no negotiations with US: Iran 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- Imran Khan among 329 newly-elected members of Parliament takes oath 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Turkey’s currency keeps falling 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- No room in US for ‘neo-nazism’, says Ivanka Trump 13 Aug 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...