- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Nobel widow Liu Xia leaves China after 8 yrs' house arrest
China allowed the widow of Chinese Nobel Peace Prize laureate Liu Xiaobo to be freed from house arrest and leave for Berlin on Tuesday, her relatives and close friends said, ending an eight-year ordeal that drove the poet into depression and drew intense criticism of Beijing's human rights record.
The release of Liu Xia, who has never been charged with any crime, is the result of years of campaigning by Western Governments and activists and comes just days before the one-year anniversary of the death of dissident Liu Xiaobo while he was serving a prison sentence for inciting subversion.
Liu Xia's brother, Liu Hui, wrote on a social media site: "Sister has already left Beijing for Europe at noon to start her new life. Thanks to everyone who has helped and cared for her these few years. I hope from now on her life is peaceful and happy."
Liu's release comes as Chinese Premier Li Keqiang is visiting Germany, a country that in May said it would welcome the widow after a recording was released of her crying in desperation and indicating she had lost hope of being able to leave China.
Close friends Gao Yu, a veteran journalist in Beijing, and Wu Yangwei, better known by his penname Ye Du, said Liu Xia was on a Finnair flight to Berlin that left today morning.
Wu said he spoke to Liu Xia's older brother, Liu Tong. "Liu Xia has been kept isolated for so many years," said Wu by phone from the southern city of Guangzhou. "I hope that being in a free country will allow Liu Xia to heal her longstanding traumas and wounds."
- Puerto Rico allowing transgender people to fix birth certificates 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Obama gives Trump sharp rebuke in Mandela address on values 18 Jul 2018 | AP
- ISIS suicide bomber kills 20 in Afghan: Officials 18 Jul 2018 | AP
- Asking voters whom they’ve voted for can land a person in jail for 3 yrs in Pakistan 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Europe, Japan sign massive free trade deal 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Trump under fire over poll meddling comments 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Female Gurkhas in British Army from 2020 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Globe trotting 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Nawaz Sharif challenges 10-yr jail term 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Senior ANP leader survives assassination attempt in Pak 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...