Palestinians bury dead after bloodiest Gaza day since 2014
Palestinians observed a strike today to mourn dozens killed by Israeli troops in a mass protest on the Gaza border — the single deadliest day there since a 2014 war and part of a high-stakes campaign by Gaza’s Hamas rulers to break a decade-long border blockade.
In Monday’s protest, Israeli forces killed 58 Palestinians, most by gunfire, and injured more than 2,700, Gaza health officials said. In jarring contrast, the U.S. Held a festive inauguration ceremony for a new U.S. Embassy in contested Jerusalem just a few miles away.
The juxtaposition of bloodshed on the Gaza border and festivities attended by a high-powered Trump administration delegation — captured on split screens in TV broadcasts around the world — briefly drew attention to the plight of Gaza and its 2 million people.
The high casualty toll also revived international criticism of Israel’s use of lethal force against unarmed protesters. At the same time, the opening of the embassy, condemned by Palestinians as blatantly pro-Israel, further dimmed prospects of what President Donald Trump had once touted as plans to negotiate the Mideast “deal of the century.”
- No children? Pay a tax, Chinese academics suggest 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Chinese plane slides off Manila runway causing flight delays 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Ebola cases in DR Congo rise to 78, 44 dead 18 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Pak court issues arrest warrant against Zardari in money laundering 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sri Lankan police question former President Rajapaksa 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Nepal Govt under fire for curbing press freedom 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Merkel, Putin share a headache, says Trump 18 Aug 2018 | AP
- Sidhu to attend Imran’s oath-taking ceremony 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Globe Trotting 18 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Imran elected as Pak’s new PM 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Five years after the renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen in Pune, the CBI on Saturday arrested one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly pulled the trigger. Identiying the arrested person as one Sachin Prakashrao Andure from Aurangabad, a senior official said that Andure was one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly shot Dr Dabholkar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...