- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Spain vows ‘all options’ open in Catalonia crisis talks
Spain’s Government vowed to examine “all options” on Wednesday in a crisis cabinet meeting hours after Catalonia’s leaders said they had a mandate to declare independence but put it on hold, plunging the country into uncertainty.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has vowed to do everything in his power to prevent the region’s independence in a dispute that has hurled Spain into its deepest political crisis in decades.
He has refused to rule out imposing direct rule over the semi-autonomous region — a move many fear could lead to unrest. Rajoy called an emergency meeting after Catalonia’s president Carles Puigdemont announced on Tuesday that he had accepted the mandate for “Catalonia to become an independent state” following a banned referendum earlier this month.
But in a parliamentary speech that left many confused, Puigdemont immediately called for Catalonia’s independence to be suspended to allow for negotiations with the Central Government.
Today, a Government source who refused to be named said “all options” were on the table as the crisis talks were under way. At stake is the future of a region of 7.5 million people deeply divided over independence, one of Spain’s economic powerhouses, whose drive to break away has raised concern for stability in the European Union.
- Female Gurkhas in British Army from 2020 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Globe trotting 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Nawaz Sharif challenges 10-yr jail term 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Senior ANP leader survives assassination attempt in Pak 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Russia targeted by almost ‘25 million cyber-attacks’ during World Cup: Putin 17 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Finland Dy PM sends climate, democracy message to Trump, Putin 17 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Putin uses new Russian limo abroad for 1st time 17 Jul 2018 | AP
- Trump wins sympathy from Russian media 17 Jul 2018 | AP
- Trump blames Russia rift on US probe, Moscow agrees 17 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Wanted Trump to win, didn’t interfere: Putin 17 Jul 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...