Sri Lanka’s Foreign Min resigns over alleged scandal
Sri Lanka’s Foreign Minister Ravi Karunanayake resigned on Thursday over corruption allegations after being linked to a businessman under investigation for alleged irregularities at a Government bond sale. Karunanayake, 54, told Parliament that he was resigning from the Cabinet to create a new political culture in Sri Lanka and ensure that opponents are not able to destabilise the Government.
“I am resigning not with any guilt but with pride,” Karunanayake said and dismissed allegations of corruption. Last week, Karunanayake appeared before a presidential commission of enquiry in connection with the bond sale scandal in 2015.
Perpetual Treasuries Ltd, a subsidiary of a company owned by the son-in-law of Sri Lanka’s then-central bank chief Arjuna Mahendran, bought more than half of the controversial bond issue on February 27, 2015, prompting charges of a conflict of interest. Mahendran and his son-in-law, Arjun Aloysius, have denied any wrongdoing. Karunanayake is accused of taking on lease a luxury apartment in Colombo paid for by Aloysius of Perpetual Treasuries.
- Trump to invite Putin to Washington this year: WH 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- North Korea puts reunion of war-separated families in doubt 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- Putin, Trump talked about a referendum for eastern Ukraine 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- More than 300 older children split at border are reunited 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- Russia shows off Putin’s ‘super weapons’ 21 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Globe Trotting 21 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Trump ‘ready’ to tax all Chinese imports 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- Personal health data of PM among 1.5 mn, Singaporeans hacked 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Pak Army has no direct role in July 25 general elections: Official 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Chinese President visits UAE amid push to increase influence 20 Jul 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of former State Finance Minister Dr Ramchandra Singhdeo. The Chief Minister reached the residence of legendary leader in the capital and paid floral tributes...