US Prez depicts benefits of peace in a video
Donald Trump on Tuesday played a Hollywood-style video to Kim Jong-un, which depicted the North Korean leader and the US President as its leading men, showing the prospect of peace. The video made a dramatic pitch for the benefits of peace between the two Cold war-era rivals laying out the opportunities that could come with an agreement to eliminate North Korea’s nuclear arsenal — a story about “two men, two leaders, one destiny.”
Trump played video in Korean to North Korean leader and eight aides at private bilateral meeting, The Straits Times reported. When asked about the video montage played ahead of the press conference, Trump said, “We had it made... I hope you liked it. I thought it was interesting enough to show... And I showed it to him (Kim) today towards the end of the meeting and I think he loved it,” the report said.
The film drew on the “in a world” and “one man, one choice” framing of Hollywood action movies. The voiceover framed Kim as a potential “hero of his people” with the chance to achieve “prosperity like he has never seen.”
The trailer portrays 71-year-old Trump and 34-year-old Kim as the two leading characters of the film — but the outcome is yet unknown. The narrator says the film is “featuring President Donald Trump and Chairman Kim Jong-un, in a meeting to remake history, to shine in the sun, one moment, one choice, what if? The future remains to be written.”
“It comes down to a choice. On this day, in this time, in this moment the world will be watching, listening, anticipating, hoping.
“Will this leader choose to advance his country, and be part of a new world? Be the hero of his people? Will he shake the hand of peace and enjoy prosperity like he has never seen?
“A great life, or more isolation? Which path will be chosen? “Featuring President Donald Trump and Chairman Kim Jong-un... In a meeting to remake history. To shine in the sun. One moment, one choice. What if? The future remains to be written.”
- Globe Trotting 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Turkey accuses US of ‘stab in back’ 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Imran Khan borrows waistcoat from NA employee for official photo 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Panama case: ISI officer included to ‘spice it up’, says Pak CJ 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- China printing currencies for countries like Nepal, Lanka and B’desh 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- EU seeks safe harbour for ship carrying 141 rescued migrants 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- No war, no negotiations with US: Iran 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- Imran Khan among 329 newly-elected members of Parliament takes oath 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Turkey’s currency keeps falling 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- No room in US for ‘neo-nazism’, says Ivanka Trump 13 Aug 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...