US Prez’s Mideast team to push peace plan in region
The White House says President Donald Trump’s Mideast negotiating team will visit the region next
week as it finalises its as-yet unveiled Israeli-Palestinian peace plan and will hold talks on deteriorating conditions in the Gaza Strip. The trip comes as officials say the Trump administration is near completion of the plan with an eye on a possible release this summer.
The National Security Council said Wednesday that Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner and special representative for international negotiations Jason Greenblatt would travel to Israel, Egypt and Saudi Arabia.
It said they would discuss “the next stages of the peace effort” and get ideas from regional leaders about “remaining questions the White House peace team has.”
No stop in the Palestinian territories is planned, although the NSC said the itinerary may be expanded. However, the prospect of Palestinian interest in the peace proposal appears dim. Peace talks have been frozen since 2014, and Palestinian leaders have been boycotting high-level talks with US officials for months, complaining that the Trump is biased toward Israel.
US officials had said in late May that the administration was aiming to release the peace plan shortly after the Muslim holy month of Ramadan ends later this week.
However, that timeline appears to have been pushed back to at least August, the same officials said.
The Kushner, Greenblatt trip comes at a particularly fraught time in US-Palestinian relations, which have plummeted since Trump recognised Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and moved the US embassy to Tel Aviv.
- Globe Trotting 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Turkey accuses US of ‘stab in back’ 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Imran Khan borrows waistcoat from NA employee for official photo 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Panama case: ISI officer included to ‘spice it up’, says Pak CJ 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- China printing currencies for countries like Nepal, Lanka and B’desh 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- EU seeks safe harbour for ship carrying 141 rescued migrants 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- No war, no negotiations with US: Iran 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- Imran Khan among 329 newly-elected members of Parliament takes oath 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Turkey’s currency keeps falling 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- No room in US for ‘neo-nazism’, says Ivanka Trump 13 Aug 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...