A heavy turnout of over 72 per cent was registered till 3 PM today in the fifth and penultimate phase of assembly polls in West Bengal, which saw sporadic incidents of violence that left seven people injured.
Voter turnout of 72.46 per cent was recorded from Hooghly district, 73.19 per cent in South 24 Parganas while Kolkata South had the lowest turnout of 58.05 per cent.
The overall average turnout was 72.19 per cent, Election Commission said.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today congratulated Delhiites for making the second phase of odd-even scheme a "success" and the fate of its next edition will be decided only after a report of comparative study of the two phases by a committee set up by government.
Transport Minister Gopal Rai said that "the exam of second phase of the car-rationing scheme was difficult and Delhiites have passed despite challenges of hot weather and opening of schools,...
MOST READVIEW ALL
The BJP and Congress on Friday engaged in a war of sorts by pressing breach of privilege charges against each other in the Rajya Sabha on Friday over the AgustaWestland chopper scam. They took on each other outside Parliament too with...READ MORE
- ‘Adarsh’ verdict by HC: Tower to go; politicos, babus face FIRs
- NEET chaos: SC won’t let Centre change its mind
- Guj announces 10% quota for poor among gen category
- Won’t spare Agusta scamsters: Govt
- Hurdles cleared, NEET entry to medical colleges
- Isro propels India into GPS club
- Two more Chinese rebels denied visa over ‘tech’ flaws
BUSINESS & FINANCE
- Lenders begin auction of brand Kingfisher, trademarks
- Jaishankar, Blinken discussed advancing civil-nuke cooperation
- India ranked abysmally low at 133 on World Press Freedom Index
- Jazz opened new exchanges with classical, eastern music:Obama
HEALTH & FITNESS
- Yoga-based cure for cancer within a year: AYUSH minister
- Breast milk boosts brain growth of premature babies
Movies and theatre apart, Kalki Koechlin is a normal girl utilising social media to its advantage. Team Viva finds out about her latent skills Kalki Koechlin may seem an extraordinary woman but can be quite ordinary when required. Like when she buys tomatoes from the roadside vendor. “I am lucky enough to have a good balance. I am not ‘so so’ famous that I can’t walk on the streets. I can still go and buy some tomatoes on the road. Maybe,...READ MORE
- While customs and rituals should change in accordance with time, those having faith in the religion should be the ones who decide the matter.
- Working with Salman was surreal. I learnt so much by just observing him. He has no starry attitude, he lets his guard down and is playful.
- While Islamabad has repeatedly urged Delhi to resume the comprehensive peace process, India has instead signalled it is only interested in talking about terrorism.
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Saturday, 30 April 2016 | TKM Kumbalamchuvattila | MuvattupuzhaThis refers to the report, “Chopper scam hovers over House” (April 28). Despite the ruling party's castigation of the Congress for its alleged involvement in the AgustaWestland chopper deal, Congress president Sonia Gandhi seems unfazed. The Opposition's accusation that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had a meeting with his Italian counterpart...