Kalyani Shankar

Kalyani Shankar

 

Kalyani Shankar is a political commentator and a syndicated columnist. She was the Political Editor of Hindustan Times and also its Washington correspondent. A press fellow at Cambridge University and senior fellow at the Woodrow Wilson Centre in Washington, Shankar is a founder member of the Indian women press corps. 

Prez poll: Ideal to have a consensus candidate

Prez poll: Ideal to have a consensus candidate

Wednesday, 22 June 2022 | Kalyani Shankar

While Prime Minister Modi keeps his cards close to his chest, the Opposition is yet to arrive at a consensus candidate Presidential elections are the buzz of the season as India is poised to get its new President next month following the end of the incumbent Ram Nath Kovind’s term. Since...

Easing PK into the Congress, Sonia style?

Easing PK into the Congress, Sonia style?

Wednesday, 27 April 2022 | Kalyani Shankar

The Congress circles are already debating whether he would be an asset or a liability Congress chief Sonia Gandhi has taken a conciliatory step by not confronting the rebels in the party (G-23) by postponing her decision on poll strategist Prashant Kishor’s entry into the party. It, however, does not mean...

Prashant Kishor: Can he be an asset for Congress?

Prashant Kishor: Can he be an asset for Congress?

Wednesday, 20 April 2022 | Kalyani Shankar

How would the G-23 react to his induction not merely as an adviser but decision-maker is the other question Will the poll strategist, Prashant Kishor, be an asset or a liability if he joins the Congress party? It is a million-dollar question as Kishor waits for the Gandhis to announce his...

Who is the next resident of Rashtrapati Bhavan?

Who is the next resident of Rashtrapati Bhavan?

Wednesday, 13 April 2022 | Kalyani Shankar

The election may not be nail-biting because the ruling BJP has the magic number to get its candidate elected President easily The 2022 presidential election will occur when President Ramanath Kovind’s term ends on July 25. Though it is more of an ornamental post as the real power exists in the...

Tamil Nadu faces possible Lankan Tamil refugee influx

Tamil Nadu faces possible Lankan Tamil refugee influx

Wednesday, 06 April 2022 | Kalyani Shankar

The refugee issue has become political with all the Dravidian parties sympathising and speaking for them The ongoing Sri Lanka crisis finds echoes across the Palk straits in Tamil Nadu as refugees have started arriving in the state over the past fortnight. Since the Eelam war ended in 2009, this is...

Retaining four BJP CMs signals continuity and trust

Retaining four BJP CMs signals continuity and trust

Wednesday, 30 March 2022 | Kalyani Shankar

This is a signal to future poll-bound States like Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh and a strategy for winning the 2024 general elections The BJP has reposed faith in the incumbent chief ministers in all the four states where it won in the recently concluded Assembly elections. Whether by coincidence or design,...

Kejriwal as challenger to both Modi and Congress?

Kejriwal as challenger to both Modi and Congress?

Wednesday, 23 March 2022 | Kalyani Shankar

Since the BJP wins around 40% votes, Kejriwal is eying the other 60%. But he has to share it with Congress and other regional satraps Will the Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal emerge as a challenger to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Congress Party, or both? No doubt winning Punjab will...

Divided Opposition Modi’s secret weapon in 2024?

Divided Opposition Modi’s secret weapon in 2024?

Wednesday, 16 March 2022 | Kalyani Shankar

The Opposition should work on a common minimum programme to mask its inherent contradictions and put up a semblance of unity Odds appear to favour the BJP for the 2024 Lok Sabha polls. The party is gung ho about its rosy prospects, as barring a few losses, the BJP’s winning streak...

Sunday Edition

And Gold

19 June 2022 | Kumar Chellappan | Agenda

Looming Pandemic

19 June 2022 | HEALTH PIONEER | Agenda

YOGA FOR HUMANITY

19 June 2022 | Dr Ishwar V Basavaraddi | Agenda

News Briefs

19 June 2022 | HEALTH PIONEER | Agenda

Talktime | ‘Kashmir is an unspoken poetry engraved in our very soul’

19 June 2022 | SUPRIYA RAMESH | Sunday Pioneer

YOGA: Gift of healing

19 June 2022 | Pioneer | Sunday Pioneer